Residential Recovery: How To React to a Sewage Backup
Most people don’t give sewage much thought, but that all changes the moment it ends up on the floors of their homes. The problem could stem from a flooded toilet or even result from a full-blown sewer backup, but in any case, immediate action is necessary. Contaminated water is a risk to property in Johnson City, TN and although there are steps you can take to mitigate damage, it’s often best to leave sewer cleanup to a professional restoration team. Here’s what you should know if you run into this type of home catastrophe.
The Do's and Don’ts
Walking into a room and finding a shallow pool of dirty water is enough to give anyone pause, but it’s crucial to take swift action to keep everyone safe. Before you call for reinforcements, consider these first steps:
• Do remove people and pets from affected areas and keep the areas clear of traffic.
• Do open windows to vent out fumes and circulate fresh air.
• Do outfit yourself with protective garments if possible, including rubber gloves and boots as well as eye and face protection.
It’s also beneficial to avoid these knee-jerk reactions when sewer cleanup becomes necessary:
• Don’t remain in the home or use appliances if the water has reached wall outlets or other electrical sources, as this is a major fire risk.
• Don’t utilize harsh chemical-based solutions to eliminate clogs, before or after flooding occurs.
• Don’t use running water in your home or attempt to flush toilets, which can make problems worse.
Make the Right Call
Unless you’re extremely confident in your capabilities, it’s smart to consult professionals when sewer cleanup is required. A sewer backup or badly flooded toilet introduces harmful microbes to the environment and can cause illness and lasting property damage if the right sanitization methods are not employed. If you’re a homeowner in Johnson City, TN keep a qualified recovery team among your contacts for assured peace of mind. Visit http://www.SERVPROwashingtoncountytn.com for more information on water damage.