If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (423) 434-0046

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How To Reduce Your Risk of a Home Fire

5/17/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage How To Reduce Your Risk of a Home Fire Situate space heaters a safe distance away from flammable materials

How To Reduce the Risk of a Home Fire

Homeowners in the United States report more than 300,000 fires every year. Many fires are preventable or can be extinguished before major damage occurs. Learn about the most common fire causes and how you can reduce the risk of a home fire at a residence in Gladstone, TN.

In the Kitchen

Kitchens have hot appliances, and many recipes involve the use of flammable cooking oil or grease. Here are several ways to avoid cooking fires:

  • Don't leave food unattended.
  • Set a timer if you must leave the kitchen.
  • Keep food packaging and towels away from hot burners.
  • Only bake or microwave with approved materials.

If a grease fire starts, try to smother the flames with baking soda, salt, and either a metal pan lid or another pan. The pressurized release of retardant from a fire extinguisher may spread the fire.

Regarding Home Heating

Furnaces and space heaters are two of the most common fire causes. Have the furnace regularly inspected. Situate space heaters a safe distance away from flammable materials and only use while attended.

Throughout The House

Several home fire safety considerations apply throughout a residence. In general, you should exercise caution with open flames and avoid common electrical problems:

  • Only burn candles when you are present.
  • Do not light candles or smoke while in bed.
  • If you smoke, use a stable ashtray or smoke outside.
  • Avoid overloading extension cords.

Candle fires and smoking-related fires are common and easily preventable causes of fire. While faulty wiring may pose a persistent risk, homeowners can also reduce electrical fire risks.

When a fire starts in any part of a house, the owner or any residents at home should try to extinguish the flames or keep the fire from spreading and evacuate. If a home fire results in damage, homeowners should rely on the expertise of a fire cleaning and restoration service in Gladstone, TN.

Other News

View Recent Posts