If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (423) 434-0046

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What to do when you find Mold in Your Home in Johnson City, TN

2/19/2019 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation What to do when you find Mold in Your Home in Johnson City, TN Mold testing in a Johnson City, TN home

Finding Mold in Your Home

Finding mold in your home in Johnson City, TN home can be a nerve wrecking experience. This dangerous growth is a form of fungus that can cause extensive damage to your home and the health of your family. Signs of mold inhalating range from chronic allergies, runny nose, frequent illnesses and migraines. Most common places that it can hide is in the bathroom, under sinks or wherever there is a dark, moist environment. Mold spores are likely to grow in heating and cooling units, ducts, carpet flooring and within the walls. If left untreated or unnoticed, mold spores can spread very quickly.

Mold Testing

It is important to have a proper mold test done by a trained environmental hygienist. They would be able to determine the specific type of fungus and the correct treatment to remove it. It is important to keep in mind that microbial growth does not automatically mean mold. Microbial growth can include bacteria or viruses, as these are easily killed by household cleaners such as bleach.

A mold test would include the professional taking a sample of the growth and testing it inside of a lab. The testing could include samples taken from the air or the surface of the growth. Air samples would include testing the concentration of spores in your home and then examined through a microscope. These are especially useful if the growth cannot be seen with the naked eye or is hidden within fixtures of the house.

A surface test would take a culture sample from a surface, such as a ceiling and would determine the cause.

The hygienist will be able to determine the best route for treatment. Depending on your problem, you may be able to remove it yourself or you may need to hire a professional. 

If you own your home in Tennessee, you may want to consider looking into your home owner's insurance policy as treatment may be covered.

The most common type of fungus would include Stachybotrys chartarum. This is a greenish-black substance usually caused by water leaks, water damage and excessive humidity. Large infestations are malodorous and can easily be smelled.

Ventilation

In this case, you can ventilate the room as much as possible. Many household appliances are also useful such as air conditioners and dehumidifiers to control the temperature and moisture level of the room.

When using cleaners to treat the issue, it is important to use the right chemical as recommended by a professional. Wear proper clothing and attire to protect yourself as these chemicals can be very harsh on your health and the environment.

Your home in Johnson City, TN does not have to be subject to such damage. With the proper information on the type of issue, it can be cured the right way. If you suspect that your home may have this dangerous growth, get it inspected and tested immediately. The longer you wait the problem may become increasingly worse. For more information entailing disaster restoration services and prevention, please visit www.SERVPROwashingtoncountytn.com

Other News

View Recent Posts